Re: Sendmail hangs at startup

Riccardo Gusso said:

> Where could the cause of the problem be?

most often in my experience the case of sendmail hanging on boot is it
cannot resolve the host name(s) it is responsible for. Check sendmail's
configuration(/etc/mail) and be sure your name resolution is working. if
your NIC isn't always detected at boot then put those entries in /etc/hosts,
I used to also add an & to the end of the sendmail startup so it would
load in the background(on systems such as laptops which may not have any
name resolution at points). you can do this by adding it in the sendmail
init script. Sendmail will still hang but it will hang in the background,
usually sendmail will "unhang" after the name resolution attempts timeout.

nate