Re: Window Manager doesn't start

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:33:38PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Jan 2003 15:51, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:11:36PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> > > Don't know what has happened.  Wasn't doing anything unusual yesterday.
> > > But now after I type startx I don't get a window manager (and I've tried
> > > kde, gnome, blackbox).  X itself starts, I get the nasty nvidia logo
> > > splash screen, but then it shuts down - and this with root too.  Why has
> > > it started messing me around?
> >
> > Is .xinitrc broken? Try putting a simple 'xterm' at the top and then
> > running the rest by hand to see where it breaks.
>
> Ha!  Putting exec xterm in .xinitrc worked, as did exec kde2.

Right, it will certainly work, but my point was that that was pretty
much guaranteed to work. Once you have an X display up with just an
xterm in it, you can then run the other things that are normally in
.xinitrc by hand and see where they go wrong.

> Normally I just have a .xsession with:
>
> #exec blackbox
> #exec ion
> exec kde2
> #exec wmaker
>
> and nothing else - should I just use .xinitrc instead then?  And why has
> .xsession suddenly starting playing around?

To my knowledge, startx has only ever used .xinitrc, not .xsession ... I
don't know why it used to work. Maybe you had a symlink in place at one
point?

My .xinitrc at work reads:

  #! /bin/sh
  xrdb -merge .Xresources
  exec "$HOME/.xsession"

I don't think this gets me quite the same environment as I do when
logging in normally using a display manager (which just uses .xsession),
but it serves well enough for the odd occasion when the display manager
breaks.