Re: exim wierdness

I am embarassed to say that it sent me a message to mail, and I read it and it disappeared after that, but got results below. I have sent more mails from mutt, but now they just disappear with not mail being sent to me, but the command you gave below seems to duplicate the error.

Shyamal Prasad wrote:

What error? Please tell us what exim complains about as precisely as
you can.
I ran the command below.

    Rohan> This is a little urgent as I would like to use exim as my
    Rohan> smtp mailer, because it doesn't mind if I am at work or at
    Rohan> home it still delivers mail.:)

What does '/usr/sbin/exim -bt rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl' produce?

rohannLinux:~$ /usr/sbin/exim -bt rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl
user "rohan.nicholls" for file existence test not found
rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl is undeliverable:
  unknown local-part "rohan.nicholls" in domain "informaat.nl"

This is the same message I was being sent in the mail messages.

I have just tried to another account with a '.' in the local part, and it succeeded.

I think the stuff about local-part and thinking it is the informaat.nl domain mailer is correct.

So now these work:
nichollsrohan@hotmail.com
rohan.nicholls@canoemail.com

and this does not:
rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl

When exim installed it ran what I assume is eximconfig, and confused me terribly. How do I get it to stop thinking it is the domain mailer, and just send the mail, which it is doing a good job of except to my work addresses....

I am presuming of course that informaat.nl is *not* the mail domain
for you Debian machine.
That is right, it is my work domain.

thanks again for the responses guys,

exim is something I have not grocked at all and even after reading the documentation I am still confused.

rohan