Re: apt-get remove exim .... wants to remove more?

> > > All of those packages depend on a MTA; try "apt-get install qmail."
> > > Apt will be much happier when it realizes that you are merely switching
> > > MTAs. Also, apt will leave your exim config files, so you can merely
> > > "apt-get install exim" at the end of your test drive and things should
> >
> > Can leave Exim installed if I install Qmail from source?
> > (Exim is not started at boot time)
> >
> > If so then I might just leave Exim alone and install Qmail from source.
> > I want to do Qmail from source so I know where things are.
> > Don't get me wrong, apt-get is my best friend, but sometimes I don't
> > learn what is going on behind the scenes.
>
> The other day I decided to play with postfix; I ran "apt-get install
> postfix" and exim ended up being removed. After I had played with postfix
> for a while, I ran "apt-get install exim" and my system was returned to its
> former state. Exim worked just as it had before I installed postfix.

Okay now I am in a pickle.  Qmail is installed.  Exim is not activated at boot
but it still handles all of the smtp services for my machine.

I should have listened to all of your advice but did not.    <sigh>

Now....how do I tell my Debian box to let Qmail take over the mail services?