Re: do amd processors work well with debian?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 07:57:41PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On January 13, 2003 06:00 am, the fabulous Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
>
> > i have used installed debian on pentium 3 and celeron without much
> > trouble.
> >
> > typically, i have found out that the amd processors are less expensive
> > than the intel ones. so, for a new pc was toying with the idea of going
> > in for an amd processor. athlon or duron?
> >
> > any feedback if the sailing with amd processors is as smooth as intel
> > ones.
>
> I haven't noticed a difference.  At work we have a dual Athlon MP 1900+, at
> home I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and I just built a system for my mother that
> is Athlon XP 2000+ based.  I can't complain about stability or other problems
> on any of these systems.  The dualie runs redhat 7.3, the others run Debian
> sid.
>
> I think the most important thing is to remember that just because the Athlon
> is lower cost do not be cheap with other components.  Regardless of Intel or
> AMD if you go with cheap mobo, ram and *especially* power supplies you are
> asking for trouble.

well, my idea was that the savings i will have on the processor can be
better utilized for mobo, ram and power supply!

by the way, any baddies when it comes to mobo chipset?

thanx group for help. i think i will be more confident when i go in for
amd this time.

--
regards,
sandip p deshmukh