Re: do amd processors work well with debian?

On January 13, 2003 06:00 am, the fabulous Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

> i have used installed debian on pentium 3 and celeron without much
> trouble.
>
> typically, i have found out that the amd processors are less expensive
> than the intel ones. so, for a new pc was toying with the idea of going
> in for an amd processor. athlon or duron?
>
> any feedback if the sailing with amd processors is as smooth as intel
> ones.

I haven't noticed a difference.  At work we have a dual Athlon MP 1900+, at
home I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and I just built a system for my mother that
is Athlon XP 2000+ based.  I can't complain about stability or other problems
on any of these systems.  The dualie runs redhat 7.3, the others run Debian
sid.

I think the most important thing is to remember that just because the Athlon
is lower cost do not be cheap with other components.  Regardless of Intel or
AMD if you go with cheap mobo, ram and *especially* power supplies you are
asking for trouble.

Fraser