Re: OT Aliasing Multiple Addresses in Mutt

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:14:58PM -0500, David Raeker-Jordan wrote:
| sean finney wrote:
| > On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:20:04PM -0500, David Raeker-Jordan wrote:
| > > The alias Group shows up in my addressbook, but when I send mail to this
| > > group, every name appears in the To: field of each email. How can I modify
| > > the list so that only "Group" appears in the To: field.

One way is to use an actual mail list manager (eg mailman).

| > how about sending it to Groupname <your@address.com> (you ought to have
| > a valid address in the to field otherwise you'll make a bounce somewhere),
| > and then bcc'ing it to members of the group?
|
| That is a good idea, and I will use it if I have to. It seems, however, that
| mutt would have a cleaner way to suppress the individual addresses in a list
| of addresses.

I haven't tested this, but what if you
    alias Group "Group:;"
    alias Group-real ...

Then put "Group" in the To: and Group-real in the Bcc?  The "Text:;"
syntax is legal according to RFC 2822 (but NOT with <> around it like
MS Outhouse does).

Another alternative is to
    set edit_headers
and make only one alias.  Then move the real addresses to the Bcc:
header in your editor.

The actual header contents will be identical in both cases, just
different routes to get there.  (I have used the manual editing of
headers on occaision)

HTH,
-D

--
Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/