tkmixer Pcm control doesn't control after new motherboard

In tkmixer, the Pcm control no longer works for me.

I upgraded from a computer with a SoundBlaster 16 to one with an Asus
A7M266-D with onboard C-Media 8738 audio.

On the new system, tkmixer displays fewer sliders, so obviously
something is different.

The problem is the Pcm slider.  It doesn't seem to do anything for
computer-played MP3 audio (as it did before), and no control other than
the master volume control seems to affect MP3 volume.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Daniel
--