Re: Home LAN email setup. Do you love yours?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 01:02:20PM -0800, nate wrote:
[snip lots of useful information]
> > Or NFS mount my home directory from each machine?  Can't allow that
> > outside the LAN.
>
> email over NFS I read is dangerous due to locking issues, I wouldn't
> reccomend it, unless it was read-only. some mail servers may be more
> forgiving then others.

With mbox it's dangerous, since all your mail is in one file, which
would have horrible consequences if two process fiddled with it at once.
Maildir pretty much eliminates this, but can be extremely slow on *some*
(read: old ext2) filesystems with huge folders (>4000 messages).  I'm
using XFS and it's working great, YMMV.

-rob