From: Dave Selby [mailto:dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 12 January 2003 16:42
To: Debian
Subject: corrupted directory, I can not clear !! help !!

I had hdb partitioned as

hdb1	windows
hdb2	debian
hdb3	linux partition for archive

I have since moved debian to an 80GB drive hda.
I want hdb to be a single linux partition I can use to archive data.

I used linux fdisk to remove all partitions on hdb, I then created one
partition on hdb, ie hdb1 taking up the entire disk.

I ran mkfs.ex2 /dev/hdb1

All AOK
Except when I mount it and go into the directory I get .....

debian:/mnt# cd archive/
debian:/mnt/archive# ls
AdemTech                   autoexec.bat  io.sys
setupxlg.txt
Config.ctl                 autoexec.nav  linuxarchive.directory  suhdlog.dat
Config.sys                 bootlog.prv   msdos.---               system.1st
Downloads                  bootlog.txt   msdos.sys               unzipped
Driver                     command.com   ncdtree
win98archive
My Documents               ctstop.txt    netlog.txt              windows
Office52                   detlog.old    recycled                zak98
Program Files              detlog.txt    sbpci                   ~mssetup.t
Schizm                     epusbdrv      scandisk.log
aureate-uninstall-log.txt  frunlog.txt   setuplog.txt
debian:/mnt/archive#

ie my windows directory !!! I dont undestand ..
I cd to /mnt/archive, ie hdb1

rm -rf *

rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/Santa Workshop.gif': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/StoryBook.gif': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/Story Book.htm': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/Tiki.gif': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/Tiki Lounge.htm': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/Christmas Trees.gif': Read-only file system
rm: cannot unlink `Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft
Shared/Stationery/aleabanr.gif': Read-only file system

Im stuck guys. I have tried e2fsck, it check out aok but somehow I am stuck
with a corrupted DOS directory which I can not clear ??

I need an equiverlant of a DOS format command I think, the nearest I can
find
is fdformat but this is only for floppy disks.

Any ideas how I can wipe my hdb disk clean ??

Many thanks for any help
Dave