Re: Image thumbnailer

> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 10:42, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I have a lot of photos (jpeg's) that I would like to be able to batch
> > thumbnail & possibly rename.  Any suggestions for a program to 'easily'
> > do this?  I will explore all the functionality of Gimp at some point,
> > but wanted to know of alternatives.  Thanks.

Sorry for replying out of order, I only just subscribed.

I find "gthumb"[1] -- a GNOME image viewer -- to be quite good, and it
does include a batch renamer.

You could also use shell command to rename the files.  For instance:

$ for f in *.jpg; do mv $f vacation${f#xyz}; done

would rename xyz*.jpg to vacation*.jpg.

see the "Parameter Expansion" section of the bash(1) manual page for
more information.

There is also a utility called "mmv"[2] which might be of interest.

I hope this helps.

LINKS
[1] <http://packages.debian.org/stable/graphics/gthumb.html>
[2] <http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/mmv.html>