Advansys ABP3922 -> "LSR safety check engaged"

I am running Debian testing, 2.4.17 kernel, with 2 ide cdroms  (scsi
emulation enabled), and a single ide hard drive.  Everything works
fine.

Next,  I plug in an Advansys ABP3922 (pci) scsi controller in order to
use an external slide scanner.  Support for scsi, plug and play, and
the advansys driver has been compiled into the kernel.  When the system
boots the 3922 is correctly identified, however I now get and error
message "LSR safety check engaged" for the ttyS4 serial port, which on
my system is a 56K 3com PNP modem.

The error message from what I've read is from the serial device driver
indicating something has been read from the UART which is not possible.
The modem is no longer availabe for use.  It does not seem to be an
interrupt or io address conflict.

If I plug a different drive into the above hardware with win2000
installed everything works, so the hardware all looks good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated - thank in advance.

Paul Winkler