Re: network print server

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:00:41PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> a print server should never go down ... if not being able to print
> at any time is not acceptable, then
> 	- put the printer on the gw or the mail server...
> 	( a machine that presumably doesn't go down )
> 	because if those machines does go down... you might as
> 	well go watch tv for a while and printing is not the only
> 	issue anymore

     Funny you should mention the gw.  The reason I am bringing this up
     now is that I am finally getting a dedicated gateway machine.  My
     dev box is functioning as the gateway now, which is not good.

     But I would like to minimize the number of services on the gateway,
     because the more services on your firewall box, the less secure the
     firewall.

     I appreciate all the good discussion on my specific question, but
     now lets open it up.

     Philosophy of Network Architecture:

          I have 4 boxes at home.  My wife's and mine, the gateway, and
          the web/mail server in the DMZ.  Also a Cisco 678 DSL router
          which provides NAT and port forwarding.

          I am debating what to do with
          squid,junkbuster,lpd,bind,apt-proxy.

          Should all this go on the gateway?  Should any be in the DMZ?
          I am trying to restrict the DMZ to only public services, but
          maybe I do not have enough resources.  It would be nice to
          have yet another box to host services in the LAN, but that is
          not going to happen soon.

          Basically I need help understanding the pros and cons of
          different setups.  I am very concerned about security.

     ~Michael