Re: Mounting USB devices

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 09:52:05AM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> 1.  Are these assignments going to change each time I shut down and then
> start up my machine (as far as how they are detected)?  I asked because
> I am running a rather old machine that I leave on during the day, but
> then shut down at night.

I doubt they would change, unless you added or removed some hardware.
(I've never had my dvd, cd-rw, or tape drive change, so I'm not
expecting the CF drive to change).  I hardly ever shut my machines down,
so I may be wrong...  :-)

> 2.  How do I give myself access to my devices (read & write) as a normal
> user?  I had to su from the terminal to execute teh sg_map command
> because I had no access as a normal user.  This would be for all devices
> like my CD drives, Zip drive, CF reader, etc.

Use the "uid" and "gid" mount options in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/cf		/mnt/cf		vfat	user,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000	0	0

The "user" option above allows you to mount the device without changing
to root, and "uid/gid" options are used to set the desired user (1000,
in my case).