Samba and XP Pro

  Searching google I get much confusing and contradictory information
  about sharing files with Samba and XP pro.  Usually version
  information is not given.  There are references to Samba patches,
  and registry changes.  What is the current state of compatibility
  with Woody ( Samba 2.2.3a-6 ) and XP pro?  Is there anything extra to
  be done to get this working?

 I am using Samba now as a file and print server for win98.

                                          ~Michael