Re: Samba + CUPS + Windows 2000

Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 23:52, Rus Foster wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have a working smb.conf for cups printing that I could have a
copy of as I just can't get it work here and starting to get annoyed at it
all

here is a part of it:

print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
load printers = yes
printing = cups

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

Antoine

I am NOT a 'guru" on this subject, but I do have it working here. In addition to what Antoine sent, I found that having a "generic" postscript printer driver on the Windows machine(s) made it work for me. I tried all sorts of config on the Windows side, and the Postscript driver was the key to get it going. I would verify the following steps:

1. Make sure CUPS is set up to work over the network, i.e. hook another Linux computer up and fiddle with the config until you can print from a remote CUPS client. The default CUPS install is not set up for network printing. Dunno if this is absolutely necessary, but it is one of the things I did & had working before I messed with Samba.

2. Make the smb.conf changes Antoine suggested above. This is essentially the same as mine, except I added a line "printcap name = /etc/printcap.cups".

3.  I have the cupsys-bsd package installed here

4. Install a postscript driver on the Windows machine. You can get a "generic" driver (what I used) from Adobe at: > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html

under "Printer Drivers". You might be able to just install an existing Postscript Driver for your printer from the Windows disk.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-