Re: Linux config question: dates don't display year?

Brian Potkin declaimed:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:34:49AM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
>
> > OT disclaimer... what controls the standard date abbreviation? On some
> > Linux systems 'ls -l' displays the year, on others it doesn't. 'finger'
> > duplicates the behavior, so it appears to be some heinous system-wide
> > setting.
The above is incorrect. 'finger' behaves the same way on both systems,
'ls' does not.

> A search of newsgroups using the keywords "ls -l", "date" and "time"
> will provide better explanations than I can give.  Adding "six months"
> would narrow down the search.
Thanks, I really should have done this before posting. I've learned a
lot about searching the archives, but didn't find anything appropriate.

BTW: Before posting I tried man, info, apropos (currently a seg fault
engine due to some pesky bug), looked at my environment variables, and
looked in Oreilly's 'Essential System Administration'

> > BTW: I've found the --full-time option for ls, but still want to know
> > how to set default behavior.
>
> How about an alias in your .bashrc?
Yes, but doesn't address the root cause. I'm stupidly curious.

Regards, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net