Re: lightweight window manager - any sugegstions?

Sandip P. Deshmukh wrote:

> i am doing most of my work in console and was looking for a small and
> fast window manager for some occasional work there.
>
> aesthetics, bells and whistles do not matter much. speed and overheads
> matter a lot.
>
> i have heard about ratpoison and [black | flux]box. any feedback from
> actual users is welcome. i am currently using windowmaker.

I like Ion.  Ion is different from the zillion other window managers
around:  The basic idea is windows don't partially overlap, instead
they tile or totally overlap (have a look at the screnshots if you
can't imagine what I am talking about, it will become much clearer).
Feels like screen-on-steroids, quite console-ish - some people love
it, other despise it.

I wouldn't try to give a definitive description of it, though, since
there was just a few days ago quite a big thread on the Ion ML to find
what would be the right Freshmeat entry for it <g>.

There are currently 2 branches: Ion-stable and ion-devel.  I would
suggest the ion-devel road.  Ion-stable is in Debian ; As for
ion-devel, unofficial Debian packages exist, but I don't know about
them since I don't use them.

home page: http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/
http://kanin.dsv.su.se/ion-devel/ for Debian packages.

--