Re: broken package: testing: libapache-request-perl

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:03:08AM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:
> libapache-mod-perl will eventually trickle down to testing.  This is
> beyond the maintainer's control, and is done automatically, so you
> should not be reporting this as a bug.
>
> Basically, you should not file bugs against packages from testing,
> unless you can verify that the version from unstable has the same bug.

We don't want to put up that much of a barrier to reporting bugs. If you
can check, please do (at least read the changelog or check the list of
closed bugs or whatever), but otherwise it's better to report the bug
than to leave it unreported.

However, in this case perl is simply in the middle of a transition,
which the original poster has tried to short-circuit on his system by
installing the perl from unstable. Consistency problems that arise from
doing that kind of thing without being aware of the nature of the
transition are basically not our problem - the packaging system
correctly told him that modules compiled for perl 5.6 are not
installable on a system with perl 5.8.

Cheers,