Re: lightweight window manager - any sugegstions?

* Sandip P Deshmukh (deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:54:44PM -0800, Peter Hicks wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:12:48AM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > >hello all
> > >
> > >i am doing most of my work in console and was looking for a small and
> > >fast window manager for some occasional work there.
> > >
> > >aesthetics, bells and whistles do not matter much. speed and overheads
> > >matter a lot.
> > >
> > >i have heard about ratpoison and [black | flux]box. any feedback from
> > >actual users is welcome. i am currently using windowmaker.
> > >

> > I find ion to be kind of cool.
>
> thanks all for help. i am currently settling for icewm-lite and trying
> ratpoison, ion.
>
> but i really do not know if the change in speed between windowmaker and
> either of these is significant.
>
> :)

Change in speed isn't just about the speed of the actual processes, it's
also about the ergonomics of the window manager itself. With appropriate
configuration you can set up keyboard shortcuts for your favourite apps
so you don't need to touch the mouse, which is a real productivity
killer most of the time.

Cheers,

Euan
--
(    )      |Euan Buchanan                        | _o)
 ~oo~       |Watford                              | /\\