Re: Mail server and iptables/exim

Nathan E Norman was roused into action on 2003-01-09 22:22 and wrote:
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:48:41PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

This one time, at band camp, David P James said:

As you have noted, there are quite a few variables.  Rule out iptables
and tcpwrappers first - from an address outside the LAN, telnet
your.host.ip 25 - if the connection times out, it's probably iptables,
if it's refused, it's either iptables or tcpwrappers.  If you connect
and get the exim greeting banner, then you know that the problem is your
exim.conf.

I sshed to my brother's Redhat server and did the telnet my.host.ip 25 thing back to my server; the connection timed out. I tried a few other ports (21, 80, 22, 110) and got a connection quite quickly.

Then apparently iptables is DROPping connections to that port - fix that
and we'll move from there.

Jumping in late, but isn't it also possible that the OP's ISP is
blocking port 25 (a common spam-fighting technique) ?

That's possibly it... That would also explain why I can get to the server's port 25 from behind the firewall, though I can get to it's port 25 on the external interface from behind the firewall as well. I'm reading conflicting reports as to whether or not Cogeco here in Kingston actually blocks port 25.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV