Please help: Can't install: dpkg fails

Whenever I try to install a package (or fix a partially installed
package) using apt-get, dselect, or dpkg, dpkg fails during the unpack
stage with the following error:

dpkg-deb: wait for gzip -dc failed: No child processes
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/whatever.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2

I've tried searching google, and found that one or two people have
reported this problem before, but cannot find any mention of a solution
anywhere.

The problem occurred after a failed "apt-get upgrade". The server hung
partway through (and hadn't been "upgrade"d in quite some time), and when
I restarted I had this problem. gzip is installed and appears to be
working correctly in every other context, so I assume the problem is with
dpkg or something to do with process synch.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Lionell Pack