Re: HELP...linux installation

Jason Berg wrote:

I'm trying to get rid of windows on my laptop, but it's turning out to be more difficult than anticipated. I installed Debian Linux 3.0r1 and during the first boot, I got the error contained at the bottom of this message. It will boot up fine in single user mode, but not otherwise. I have tried installing it multiple times with multiple burns. I did a md5sum check on the CD's that I used and they were fine. Any suggestions?

Error that I recieved (first, it started off with a lot of jibberish):

Code: 8b 4a 04 85 c9 74 22 8b 5a 18 8b 02 89 01 8b 0a 85 c9 74 08
Aiee, Killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

Boot into single user mode; then execute "init 2" to see if the same thing happens (it should).

Then boot into single user mode, and go into the /etc/rc2.d directory (or whatever /etc/inittab has the initdefault level set to), and run the "S" scripts in alphanumeric order. When you get the jibberish, you'll know which script is causing the problem.

Kent