Re: Mail server and iptables/exim

    "David" == David P James <David> writes:

    David> At present I can send email to an account on that server
    David> from *within* the lan using the server's internet domain
    David> name (davidium.dyndns.org) in the email address, but not
    David> from outside (the connection times out, according to the
    David> Failed Mail Delivery messages I get 4 hours later). This
    David> may be iptables or it may be exim; I'm not sure. The email
    David> was sent using exim on my own Debian box within the lan;
    David> specifing an external smtp server results in a failed
    David> delivery however.

My first guess is your iptables configuratin is not letting smtp
in. See if you can telnet to port 25 (smtp) from outside.

If that works, look in /var/log/exim/* for a record of what went
wrong before examining the exim.conf file for errors. If exim is
really rejecting the messages then there should be something in the
logs.

Cheers!
Shyamal