Re: grubing my debian box

hugh@mjr.org (Hugh Saunders) writes:
> My only query is that when specifying the root file system i have to
> specify using the /dev/hd* notation rather than the devfs way.
> is there anyway i can direct the kernel to a root filesystem
> using devfs?

It seems like the kernel "find the root partition" code is pretty
separate from everything else.  The GRUB init stuff probably needs to
specify /dev/hdaX, even if your system doesn't otherwise have such a
file.  (And if you think about it, before there's a root filesystem,
how can the kernel read your /dev, anyways?)

	-- Abra Mitchell