Re: Order of identifying filesystems for "auto"

This one time, at band camp, Mark L. Kahnt said:
> I haven't touched this the past couple of kernels, so it may have
> changed, but another thread reminded me of this problem. I deal with
> diskettees at times from a variety of operating systems, including
> MacOS, OS/2, and vfat. As such, I'd thought the sensible move would be
> to specify "auto" as the filesystem in /etc/fstab, and let it pick out
> what to use. Well, it works fine for Minix and MacOS, and FAT
> filesystems, but when it comes to vfat, well, it sees FAT first, and
> goes with it to the exclusion of its nominally more powerful
> counterpart.
>
> Is there a way, other than rewriting the code for mount, to have it look
> that little bit more to see if the freshly found FAT volume is aactually
> vfat, or have I been fortunate and that is already done and I should
> just try it again?

Try `cat /proc/filesystems` - that's the order that your kernel searches
for any mount with auto in the filesystem type field.  This can be
overridden by creating a file /etc/filesystems with the order you want.

cp /proc/filesystems /etc/filesystems ; $EDITOR /etc/filesystems

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Absence diminishes mediocre passions    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | and increases great ones, as the wind   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | blows out candles and fans fires.   --  |
|  			         | La Rochefoucauld                        |