Order of identifying filesystems for "auto"

I haven't touched this the past couple of kernels, so it may have
changed, but another thread reminded me of this problem. I deal with
diskettees at times from a variety of operating systems, including
MacOS, OS/2, and vfat. As such, I'd thought the sensible move would be
to specify "auto" as the filesystem in /etc/fstab, and let it pick out
what to use. Well, it works fine for Minix and MacOS, and FAT
filesystems, but when it comes to vfat, well, it sees FAT first, and
goes with it to the exclusion of its nominally more powerful
counterpart.

Is there a way, other than rewriting the code for mount, to have it look
that little bit more to see if the freshly found FAT volume is aactually
vfat, or have I been fortunate and that is already done and I should
just try it again?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org