Re: AC97 onboard Via Apollo Pro, sound not working

Elijah <desiderata@softhome.net> writes:
> I want to configure my AC97 card since I just removed my c-media to make
> room for my tv-tuner.

My understanding is that "AC97" isn't actually a particular type of
soundcard, but a sort of meta-standard...

> I added the ac97_codec in my modules to make it
> work, but it doesn't. So I found this alsa thing, downloaded it,
> Valhalla:/home/elijah# lspci
> 00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
> (rev 30)
> 00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
> Controller (rev 20)

Depending on how old a version of ALSA you're using, you either need
the snd_via686 driver or the snd_via82xx driver.  (You'll have one or
the other, not both.)  If you want to use the stock kernel driver
instead of ALSA, you need to select "VIA 82C686 Audio Codec" in the
kernel config, and/or modprobe (looks like) via82cxxx_audio.  I'm not
terribly clear what the trade-off is, but at some point in the past I
drank the ALSA kool-aid, and now I build ALSA drivers with all of my
kernels...

	-- Abra Mitchell