Re: dual-boot redhat/debian

Gregory Seidman <gss+debian@cs.brown.edu> [2003-01-09 07:42:15 -0500]:
> Ignoring, for the moment, why I would do such a thing, I want to set up a
> machine (laptop) to dual-boot both Redhat 8.0 and Debian (testing/unstable
> mix).

You might consider setting up a chroot area for the non-booting
distribution.  This works both ways, in that Debian can host RH and
the reverse.  Depending upon things this works really well.  I use it
to create older executables bound to older libraries but compatible
forward onto my newer system.  Others do the reverse to test against
unstable while still living on stable.  A lot of variations are
possible.

See Colin's nice description on the subject.

  http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html

Using chroot is more subtle than the direct brute force method of dual
booting.  And we all know that brute force and ignorance will always
triumph over intelligence and finesse.  But it does allow you
simultaneous use of both systems on the same hardware at the same
time.

Bob