Re: dual-boot redhat/debian

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:42:15AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> Ignoring, for the moment, why I would do such a thing, I want to set up a
> machine (laptop) to dual-boot both Redhat 8.0 and Debian (testing/unstable
> mix). I'd also like to share as much as possible between them. I can
> obviously share the entire /home directory.

Yup.

> I think I can share /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

Not safely. You can share user accounts, but system accounts will be
created and removed as you create and remove packages, and base-passwd
will rewrite global static accounts (0-99) whenever it's upgraded.

> I'm pretty sure I want to share /etc/X11/XF86Config{-4}.

Probably, yes.

I wouldn't explicitly share /etc (i.e. mount it on both systems), but
you might well want to copy files back and forward between them. My
approach would probably be to 'diff -Nru' the two directories after
installation and see what can be merged.

> Is there anything else I can or should share? The goal is to wean my boss
> from the Redhat teat, so I want the user experience to be as similar as
> possible between the two (bluecurve notwithstanding).

There's {gtk,gtk2}-engines-lighthouseblue in unstable, which may be of
use there.