Re: TCP/IP config

begin  Daniel L. Miller quote on Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:38:41AM -0800:
> Running PUMP from a terminal window appears to configure my network adapter
> correctly via DHCP.  How can I make PUMP ( or anything else, for that
> matter) run at system startup?

You can edit /etc/network/interfaces, and change the `iface eth0' line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

This will automatically launch a dhcp client on boot (technically, on
ifup eth0).

> Is there a better way of performing a DHCP client request than PUMP?

There are a couple of DHCP clients packaged for Debian; pump is (I
believe) the default, I prefer dhcp3-client, as it gives more
informative messages when something goes wrong.  Both work fine in my
experience.