OpenOffice language locale

I used to have OOo 1.0.0 with UK dictionary. I upgraded to 1.0.1 and it reverted to USA dictionary. The UK dictionary works when the document language is set to "English(UK)". The problem is that it will not save the language locale setting as English (UK) when closed - it reverts to English (USA) and for "Locale setting" and "Default languages for documents". Strangely, "Default currency" keeps my chosen value of "GBP £ English(UK)"

I thought it might be a permissions issue, but I cannot see anything obvious. I made the changes while logged on as root.

Any ideas?

--
Chris Lale             <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>