Re: console messages flit by too fast

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:21:09AM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

>I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but:
>$ dmesg | $PAGER
>works fine for viewing boot messages.  You lose all the module loading
>and init messages, but that's usually logged to syslog or kern.log
>anyway, so you can look into it later.  Or am I just restating the
>obvious, and missing the real problem?

unfortunately this doesn't catch stderr (not sure why &> or wasn't used,
must be that "| tee /dev/null &>" problem... but then again, I doubt the
bootup is a "tail -f" output :^))

I would put a sleep 20 at the top of various /etc/rcS.d/ programs. If
the problem is re "fstab" then a delay in /etc/rcS.d/S40hostname.sh
might be appropriate. then you can see the prob at boot ;-)

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org