Re: console messages flit by too fast

> Isn't there something that I can turn on to capture all these, or are
> we too early in the startup?

< Try using dmesg (or less /var/log/dmesg)

i wanted to see the ones that dont go in there

> when booting the machine, hook up the console to another system
> if you only have 1 system, I'd suggest getting another.

just to capture a few lines of ascii right there on the linux console

> I hit ALT CTRL F1 etc. but I don't suppose those `man console(4)` tty can
> be scrolled backwards.

<most likely if your booting directly into X the console log will be
<lost when X loads(at least if your using a display manager). Disable
<X from loading on boot and you can scroll back a certain amount(usually

I will try chmod -x /etc/init.d/xdm
which will only stop X, not like init 1, which stops too much...
no, indeed it turns out I don't know how to stop X from staring on
debian.  I can't figure it out.  If I say 'single' at the boot prompt
that will cause too much not to be started ... i only want X not to start.

>Have you tried scroll lock? I seem to recall it worked for me when I
>had this type of issue

but they go by too fast for that

> Yeah, every bug report you file must be dealt with as an emergency even

my mom is even worse.

> Sarcastic comments like "I can't believe this is still not solved" about

You mean like: "Hurmph, they expect me to use pencil and paper to copy those
messages... why can't one hook some 'loopback tee' into a file from
say the boot prompt...  Didn't that Knoppix guy put the whole kaboodle
into a ram disk or something... maybe have the console be a fifo|tee
file etc..." ok, sorry :-)
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780