Re: Burning CD Revisited

Hey Larry,

Unfortunately I didn't see your earlier thread either.. I'm about 2,500 messages behind on debian-user. You chose el torito & are looking for a boot image, so I'll assume you are trying to create a bootable CD.

I was stuck exactly where you are only three weeks ago. I was trying to make a bootable Knoppix CD. There was some possibility that the way I ended up doing it was unnecessarily complicated, but it worked. Try the thread titled "Bootable CD w/X-CD-Roast: mkisofs error" from December.. I posted a "SOLVED" for it on the 15th.

Basically, I had to not point the master source (or master tracks.. whichever it is) not _at_ the .iso image, but instead had to mount the image as a loopback device (terminology?)... something like this: (but look at man mount, I don't remember exactly)

# mount -t=iso9660 -o=loop,ro my_knoppix_iso.iso /mnt/cd

you should then be able to `cd /mnt/cd` (or wherever you mount it) & navigate aroung the iso like you do your HD. The master source is then "/mnt/cd"

knoppix had a directory something like /KNOPPIX/boot-en/boot.img which is the image you want xcdroast to be able to find. AFAIK you can't use a boot.img that's not already a part of your iso. You have to point knoppix to this image relative from the master source, so if the above directory is correct, it would have been "KNOPPIX/boot-en/boot.img"

I think there's a boot.cat in that directory too, but when I hovered the mouse over the boot.catalog tool-tip, it suggested just leaving it blank/default(?) which is what I did & it worked.

If you read my earlier thread, all the details already fuzzy in my memory should be clear. I was trying to copy that #@*$ boot.img to every possible place hoping it'd find it before this dawned on me

HTH,

kenneth