Re: SiS 5598 Video Chip / Mouse won't work...help!

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 00:10, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> Once upon a time Ron Johnson wrote @ 06 Jan 2003 14:19:13 -0600
>
> > On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 13:44, Jay wrote:
> > > Hello Listies!
> > >
> > > Has anyone ever messed with setting up either Gnome or KDE or X with a SiS
> > > 5598 video chipset?
> > >
> > > I'm having problems getting a readable output, can someone help me? Could it
> > > be that I'm using the wrong xserver? BTW I have an olde Shamrock 14"
> > > monitor.
> > >
> > > I tried installing Debian Woody 3 times already, messed with different
> > > settings, but that's it.
> > >
> > > Oh, and I can't get the mouse to work either.
> > >
> > > Thanks In Advanced!
> >
> > http://www.xfree.org/current/Status30.html#30
> >
> > According to that, the SiS 5598 chips are only supported under
> > XFree 3.3.6.
> >
> $ X -version
> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
>
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 00:13.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5597/5598 VGA (rev 65)
>
> using the sis driver it works fine
>
> I can send you my XF86Config-4 !

Very interesting.  Maybe you should send a Documentation Bug
email to the xfree people...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |