Re: Debie Newbie

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

>I?m just getting started with Debian ? and I?ve got a long journey ahead, I
>can tell.  My first goal was to get X-Windows up ? it took me a while.

Welcome.  After X Window, all other configurations will seem trivial:)

A word to the wise; as new to Debian and Linux, you are likely to
receive a thorough roasting if you continue to use HTML, MS-TNEF, and
multi-part/mixed (except for sig-keys) on the list.

>Now, I?d like to get it connected to my network.  My computer has an Intel
>Pro+ adapter.  I downloaded the source code for the driver from Intel?s site
>(since I didn?t see a Debian binary).  Now I?m trying to compile and link
>it.

Likely the eepro100 module is what you need.  Since you only install
once, I've forgotten the mod install directions.  They're simple, so
someone will either give you a step by step or direct you to the proper
docs.

>Some questions:
>
>1.	Will the Redhat binary work with Debian?

It can, but not necessary in this case.

>2.	When running ?make? in the directory, I get an error ? ?Unable to
>locate Linux source?.  How do I solve this little problem?
>3.	After accomplishing step 2, or utilizing step 1 ? how do add this
>module to the list available in MODCONF?

If you're using the Debian kernel binaries, the module is already
available.  You just need to install it.  Help will be forthcoming.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---