Re: *BLUSH* Still have no idea of the xhost replacement

Abdul Latip said:
> OK, this must be very embarassing: I still have no idea
> on how to open a X11 window with another account without
> xhost :-(.
>
> I have read this issue several times on this list. I am
> aware that it is somehow related with sshd_config and
> xserverrc. Unfortunately, I can not figure out what
> to do.  Therefore, may I know where to find clues
> "X11 for Dummies" that informs STEP BY STEP instructions.
> E.g., to run "xclock" at :0 with another UID:
> - modify this and that config files
> - execute this command, etc....

assuming both client & server are debian ..

on the server
--------------
edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
find the line that has X11Forwarding and set it to yes:
X11Forwarding yes

next, restart the service: /etc/init.d/ssh restart

be sure xbase-clients is installed (apt-get install xbase-clients)

on the client
ssh -l username -v -C servername -X

once logged in run 'xclock' and it should appear on your screen.

if not, copy/paste the lines that show up in the terminal when you
try to run it. Most common problem I find is when trying to run a program
as root on a remote system by doing su before executing the program. This
can cause a authentication mismatch or something. Only workaround I've found
is to login to the system as root and run it directly.

nate

on the client