Re: audio recording is fast

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:30:56 -0500
Kenneth Dombrowski <kenneth@ylayali.net> wrote:

> Yeah, this is the first thing I thought of, but everything is set for
> 44.1. I tried:
>
>   - recording & immediate playback in audacity without saving the file
>     (though some .auf files are written to ~/.audacity_temp)
>
>   - recording to .wav, processing and playing in gramofile (gramofile
>     applies filters to tracks recorded from casettes/LPs to reduce
>     noise), and
>
>   - saving either of these files & opening in xmms
>
> Playback is always 3 or 4X the original speed
>
> I did install speech-tools to check one of the files itself, and
> ch_wave reports this:
>
> kenneth@enlil:/mp3/tmp$ ch_wave -info new-processed.wav
> Duration: 14.9000
> Sample rate: 44100
> Number of samples: 657091
> Number of channels: 2
> Header type: riff
> Data type: short
>
>   ..which looks ok to me. at least it does appear to have the correct
> header & verifies the sample rate.
>
> tracks recorded from a CD play back at the correct speed. what's
> really puzzling is that it _did_ work fine for a week or so... up
> until the 26th when I did an upgrade & installed some new sound
> editing apps. I've been purging the new stuff I installed one by one,
> but without results so far..
>
> Any ideas still appreciated,
> Kenneth

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this (busy holiday
season is to blame). Did you ever get it worked out?

This still sounds suspiciously like a sampling rate error.  Could it be
that audacity/gramofile is writing a bad header?  One thing to do is to
use a cli-based playback utility (like "play" from the sox package) so
you can manually set the playback sampling frequency.  This might help
you understand a little better what's going on.

Let me know how this goes.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli