Donkeys running EDonkey

I'm getting bashed (not the shell) to the point of an extra load of 1.0
over normal handling hits on port 4662 (used by EDonkey file trading
software) due to the previous holder of my current IP having run it. 22
hours of moving to the new IP, these hits seems to be a constant chewing
at my bandwidth (okay, far less than if I was tossing files back and
forth - I've got plenty incoming to spare on my DSL line.)

I suspect that the bulk of the load is the observation and logging of
these messages, but is there a way of getting rid of all logging short
of buying a separate router with proprietary hardcoded firewall and
praying that I have not missed some security advisory on it that leaves
my system wide open? ;)

Fact is that these peer-to-peer file transfer programs are often bad
Internet neighbours by not timing out in their probes of other IPs. I'm
grateful I didn't come on this IP after someone that hosts a
mega-library had been on it, but still, 9 1/2 MiB of extra messages in
syslog over 18 hours is a *bit* much (I'm not tight for disk space on
/var, but a daily log of 1.7 MiB growing to 11.2 MiB and a decline on
performance on that drive because of the ongoing logging - at least it
is the middle partition of the drive - gets a bit annoying.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org