New Nvidia graphics card - /dev/mixer vanishes!

Woody system with XFree 4.2.1
Sound card Soundblaster 128

My Christmas present was an nvidia Geforce 2 MX 400 card.  After much
fear and trembling I installed the relevant packages ie

nvidia-kernel-src
nvidia-glx-src

followed the instructions and everything went fine except that /dev/mixer
can no longer be located by sound software

The error I get when starting Xfree86 is
"/dev/mixer   No such device"

Permissions
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   0 Apr 15  2001 /dev/mixer

I am added to the audio group.

Modules...
glynthebearded:/home/glyn# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
bsd_comp                4032   0  (autoclean)
NVdriver              945504  10  (autoclean)
sound                  54444   0  (unused)

>From Config-2.4.18

#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m

Can anyone point me to some docs/wisdom which might shed light on this?

TIA

Glyn