does slrn host a collection of all newsgroups only temporarly?

I'm new to slrn and did a apt-get install a few weeks
ago. I'm not that sure anymore but I thought apt-get
had prompted for a valid news server while being
in installation mode.
Addionaly I also thought slrn had pulled all newsgroups
from the prompted newsserver (at least I have this
warning about 'it could take a few minutes' in my mind).

After this installation I didn't bother about this
programm - up to today - realizing there was no
.newsrc or .jnewsrc on my disk.

Would someone kindly clarify?

Robert