Re: adding linux-debian in my Windows XP

Your question is a bit vague, but I'll try to give some clues.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 06:18:03 EST
Mumtazjiddan@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    can anyone help me to install debian in my windows XP.

First of all, make sure you have a windows xp bootdisk, in case you can't figure out how
to install a bootloader and need to post another message to ask ppl.

> Should I do
> partition, and do I need to get debian software to have half of my laptop
> contains of debian and another half of windows XP.

this is very well possible, you just need to have free space on your hard drive,
do the debian install, then boot into it and then (!) don't forget: install a bootloader,
I'd suggest lilo (because I use it). when you first boot into your new debian system,
make sure you install lilo, switch to a terminal, login as root and read the manpage
about lilo.conf (man lilo.conf). After reading it, make your own /etc/lilo.conf with
the desired options, then run the command "lilo". If everything is allright with your
config file, lilo will simply install itself in the bootsector.

If you have trouble use one of the example files (probably found in /usr/share/doc/lilo/examples,
something like that). It is also wise to create a linux bootdisk during install because
lilo may not detect all logical errors in your setup (for instance forgetting to add a root=/dev/hda1
or similar which will cause kernel panic)

> can anyone give me idea is
> it okay to do partition using magic partition?

Best thing to do is just resize your windows partition with partition magic. Guessing on the size of your
disc, if it is around 40gig, you might wanna reserve about 10 gigs of it for GNU/Linux (so resize the win
partition(s) to a total of 30).

> TQ

Finally, to install a debian system, I'd suggest you print out the help pages found at http://www.debian.org/
and keep them around during install, they might help you more than my short message (after all people wrote
them for this very purpose).

mvg,
Wim