no modules after kernel compile

Hi all,

Part 3 of my "kernel compile saga."

My new kernel compiles OK, it boots OK, but there are no modules. Typing
lsmod shows no modules loaded, even though /etc/modules says:

msdos
via-rhine
ide-scsi
sg
agpgart
es1370
parport
parport_pc

A look in directory /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers confirms that the
directory is empty. I can find compiled drivers in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/drivers, but I don't know how to get these to
install. Can I get away with just copying them one by one into their
proper location? Seems like a very Micky Mouse solution - I'd like to
know why they didn't install when I installed the kernel.

Hoping someone can enlighten me.

best regards,
Robert