Re: KDE3 -- wich packages to download

Andy wrote:

Its a problem with some of the packages changing boundaries I think.  What
was the reason given for holding back the packages?

It does not say.  Only "The following packages have been kept back"
There are 55 held back. I did not pay attention when it did some installing the first time around.

I'm not sure exactly what that means but I just go ahead and install them. I'll bet

apt-get install kdebase

will install most of them.

Every time Ralf upgrades the packages I get kdebase and konsole held back and I just do as I said above and usually everything works fine. I am running Ralf's latest right now.

I _think_ this is caused by the non removal of some of the packages which
are no longer in the release.
I did it with a combination of aptitude and dpkg -r.  I used aptitude to
try and understand what the problem was, and dpkg -r to fix it (sometimes
with --force-depends)

This is probably true and apt-get install seems usually to fix it.

Paul Scott