Re: KDE3 -- wich packages to download

> Its a problem with some of the packages changing boundaries I think.  What
> was the reason given for holding back the packages?

It does not say.  Only "The following packages have been kept back"
There are 55 held back.  I did not pay attention when it did some
installing the first time around.

> I _think_ this is caused by the non removal of some of the packages which
> are no longer in the release.
> I did it with a combination of aptitude and dpkg -r.  I used aptitude to
> try and understand what the problem was, and dpkg -r to fix it (sometimes
> with --force-depends)

Hmm......a little over my head.   Should I try Synaptic like the other
gentleman recommended? I don't have much time this week and
would like to get this fixed.

So if anyone can help me get KDE 3.1 installed I would appreciate it.
To recap.........all I have done is put
http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/woody/i386 ./
into my sources list and did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
There are 55 packages being held back and I don't know why.
And my Kmail is all screwed up.  If I click on anything it just closes.

One thing I just noticed....uname -a says I have i686.
Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 .....  i686 unknown
Is that a problem with i386 in my sources file?

Thanks for any help out there.  Andy