compiling netfilter as modules

Hello.

I have a strange problem here. I want to use iptables. Therefore I
recompiled my kernel with the whole netfilters stuff as modules.
(ip_conntrack_ftp.o  iptable_nat.o  ipt_mac.o         ipt_state.o
ip_conntrack_irc.o  ip_tables.o ...)

After restarting I get unresolved symbols (with ip_conntrack.o,
ip_tables.o, ipt_REJECT.o, iptable_filter.o, iptable_mangle.o,
iptable_nat.o).

modprobe ip_tables says:
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved
symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved
symbol nf_register_sockopt

However, when I compile the whole thing with netfilter built into the
kernel everything works fine.

What is the problem here? Why do the modules not work?

Thanks,
Burkhard

--
Burkhard Ritter