Gnome shutdown configuration question

I am running SID/Gnome2 but had the same problem with Stable running 1.4.
If I am running a Gnome Session of either version and am logged in as
root and select "Log Out" from the menu I am prompted with a menu with
three radio buttons (Logout, Restart, and Shutdown the Computer). When I
try the Log Out when a regular user is logged in I get a different menu
that just asks if I would like to Log Out. I do not get the other
options. Does anyone know what I need to change to allow regular users
use that same "Log Out" in gnome but be able to shutdown as root can.

I know I can just logout to GDM and the shutdown or do it from a command
prompt but I would prefer to Shutdown from within Gnome.

Any info would be appreciated.

Michael