Re: kernel recompile - SOLVED

Robert Storey wrote:

try setting the cpu type to 386.  rebooting before the kernel even
starts doing anything usually means the wrong cpu type was selected.

hmm, but if the kernel name has i386 in it, this might not be the

Thanks, that was indeed the problem. My processor is an AMD-K6, but the
default setting was the Intel Celeron Coppermine. Even though it
produces a kernel name including the phrase "i386", I guess that only
means as opposed to the "ia64" or "ppc" or whatever.

That was exactly my situation.