kernel recompile

In the continuing saga of my kernel recompile, I did this:

  make xconfig
  make-kpkg clean
  make-kpkg kernel_image
  dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

Everything seemed to go well. There were no error messages, and I found
myself with a newly compiled kernel named vmlinuz-2.4.18 in my /boot
directory. But on attempting to boot, the kernel would instantly crash
and reboot again, and again, etc, ad nauseum. I could only recover by
editing GRUB to point back to the old kernel.

Can't see what I did wrong, other than possibly that my settings somehow
conflicted. I actually changed very little - I used the stock kernel,
and just added support for sound, parport, scsi, and my ethernet card.

Has anyone else had this experience? Can I just use my old kernel and
somehow get these other things to work by loading modules?

thanks in advance,
regards,
Robert Storey